The Hotel Deluxe
Portland's historic Hotel Mallory, built in 1912, closed its doors in 2005 to undergo a $6 million renovation and modernization. As part of this renovation, Eleek was asked to restore 23 original brass and crystal chandeliers in various states of disrepair. The hotel reopened in 2006 as the Hotel DeLuxe.
We handled these delicate fixtures with kid gloves through the following steps:
- Conducted careful research to insure historical accuracy.
- Disassembled and cleaned all parts, stripping paint and old finishes as needed.
- Duplicated missing brass pieces by making molds from existing pieces and casting new parts.
- Refinished all parts, using historically accurate patinas and protective coatings.
- Replaced missing and damaged crystals as needed.
- Replaced all electrical components and wiring.
- Reassembled and tested each fixture.
- Listed each fixture for ETL compliance (using UL specifications).
Newly renovated chandeliers installed at Gracies, the revamped restaraunt of the Hotel DeLuxe. See the Fixturing and Castings page to see how Eleek helped create original cast bronze signage for this restaurant.
An artisan at Eleek rewires a turn-of-the-century chandelier to meet today's safety standards.